Fixed Odds Betting Terminals All Party Parliamentary Group
Fixed Odds Betting Terminals APPG hears from Local Government
In the latest session of the Fixed Odds Betting Terminals All Party Parliamentary Group inquiry into “Fixed Odds Betting Terminals – Assessing the Impact”, the APPG will be hearing from Sir Robin Wales, Mayor of Newham Council and the Local Government Association, later today.
Newham Council have led a Sustainable Communities Act appeal, with support from 92 other councils in England and Wales, calling for the Government to reduce the stake on FOBTs in high street bookmakers to £2.
Alongside Sir Robin, Anita Lower, Licencing Spokesperson for the Local Government Authority will give evidence of how the LGA and local authorities across the country have experienced the impact of FOBTs.
In a series of hearings, the APPG inquiry will be taking oral evidence from the range of stakeholders in the FOBT debate from gambling addiction experts and FOBT users, to regulators, bookmaker Chief Executives and their representatives.
Using this evidence the group will publish a report setting out their findings early in 2017.
Further information on the All Party Group and details of further sessions due to be held later this year can be found at www.fobt-appg.com
Carolyn Harris MP the Chair of the All Party Group said:
“I am delighted to Chair this important inquiry. The FOBT All Party Group, a genuinely cross party group, will seek to fully assess the impact of FOBTs on our society and economy. It is time for a proper look to be taken at the impact of these machines on all our communities”
Notes to Editors
- The Fixed Odds Betting Terminals (FOBT) All Party Parliamentary Group has been created to provide a forum for discussion and further investigation into the impact of FOBTs in our communities. This group, powered by the passion of the members in both houses of Parliament on this issue, will allow a coordinated effort among politicians of all political parties, to come together to discuss how best to address the issues that FOBTs are causing to our communities.
- For more information, please contact Carolyn Harris MP, the Chair of the Fixed Odds Betting Terminals All Party Parliamentary Group or the secretariat for the Group: Kenneth Pritchard email@example.com T: 0207 592 3800
- The group’s report will be made publicly available in early 2017.
- Oral evidence sessions will be held each month and the attendees will be listed on the group website fobt-appg.com .These sessions will be by invitation only. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to attend.
- Written Submissions are being accepted. Please contact the Group Secretariat, Kenneth Pritchard email@example.com for more information.